Saturday, May 28, 2011

[Classroom Management] Offsides

Recently I had to institute the offsides rule in my classroom.  Granted, I don't fully comprehend the rule, and, as I am wont to do, I have adjusted it to meet my needs.  Life is so much easier when you can make things mean what you want them to mean.

My lamby-pie that seeks attention in every way imaginable still needs protection from the angry mob on occasion (okay, all the time), One day I was having trouble keeping one eye on him and one eye on the other fifteen schmoopies in my class.  Attention-seeking lamby-pie was practically sneaking behind my back and jumping up and down in his efforts to get punched in the face, and I didn't think I was going to be able to keep it from happening (again).

I called out to the other schmoopies that I was instituting the "offisides rule" and gave a brief explanation.  Basically, I just said they had to keep me in between them and attention-seeking lamby-pie at all times.  I kept my eyes on the lamby-pie and the schmoopies took the new rule seriously.  Whichever way I moved, they moved to keep me in front of them. 

Okay, I'll admit, it was kind of fun.  I even squeezed them into a corner at one point.  Why?  Because they let me.


Goal Progress: 5/20 (slow-going, eh?)

1 comment:

  1. Love it! That's what we need in this world....more innovative, clever, practical, fun-loving teachers!

    ReplyDelete