Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hope

Hope
Hope is the thing with feathers 
That perches in the soul, 
And sings the tune--without the words, 
And never stops at all,


And sweetest in the gale is heard; 
And sore must be the storm 
That could abash the little bird 
That kept so many warm.


I've heard it in the chillest land, 
And on the strangest sea; 
Yet, never, in extremity, 
It asked a crumb of me.
--Emily Dickinson

This poem struck me today.  Actually, just the first stanza and it was yesterday.  And it didn't strike me, because poems don't typically cause physical injury on purpose.  But I liked it, and it is November and November is hard.  Proof?  Here is an article that says so.  November Blues.  Not a very good article, surely, but proves the point well enough.  I'll be doing something with this poem in the next week or so.  Don't know what.  May be brilliant.  May be not-so-much.   

2 comments:

  1. It struck me too. Nice- thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing your brilliant interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. November is my birthday month. Adam's birthday month, Judith's birthday month, I think, and then there is Thanksgiving which means some people I like somewhere are going to get together with me and we will have fun. it also means leaves are yellow, snowboarding is any day and it isn't hot anymore for a while.

    ReplyDelete