Friday, February 25, 2011

[Friday Free-Day] Day Off

Yes, teachers get vacations. Two weeks here, two weeks there. Oh, and the "summer off"  as everyone points out.  I'm not going to get all preachy about this "time off." At least not today. I'll link a couple of articles here and here if you feel like getting your dander up or your panties in a bunch about it, but I don't want to discuss it. I want to talk about one day off.

I took my birthday off this year. I planned ahead, I used one of my two allowable personal days, I prepared for it. In my entire teaching career (ahem... over 15 years, folks) I have never taken a personal day just because I wanted to.  I have always saved them for a family event that required a day off, a day to get some work done that was required but no time was given, or saved them and then lost them at the end of the year.  This year, I took one.  And it was fabulous.

I think I crammed the feelings of an entire vacation into one day.  I felt rested, rejuvenated and free.  What a lovely, lovely thing a day off can be!  I highly suggest it!

No comments:

Post a Comment