Wednesday, February 9, 2011

[Thoughts on Teaching] Gossip?

I have a lot to say, but I'm having a small moral quandary. What is the line between gossip and sharing stories?  Who am I allowed to tell these things to, and how much am I allowed to say? There have been a few things in my district lately that have surprised me. Things people know about my kids, my school, my career, that I wouldn't think they would know. But people talk. Am I doing the same thing here?

Honest guys--input.  Where is the line?

1 comment:

  1. gos·sip
       /ˈgɒsəp/ Show Spelled [gos-uhp] Show IPA noun, verb, -siped or -sipped, -sip·ing or -sip·ping.
    –noun
    1.
    idle talk or rumor, especially about the personal or private affairs of others: the endless gossip about Hollywood stars.
    2.
    light, familiar talk or writing.
    3.
    Also, gos·sip·er, gos·sip·per. a person given to tattling or idle talk.
    4.
    Chiefly British Dialect . a godparent.
    5.
    Archaic . a friend, especially a woman.
    –verb (used without object)
    6.
    to talk idly, especially about the affairs of others; go about tattling.
    –verb (used with object)
    7.
    Chiefly British Dialect . to stand godparent to.
    8.
    Archaic . to repeat like a gossip.

    I am biased for sure because I think you are amazing and am glad you share your stories from the front lines. I don't believe what you share falls under the "gossip" definition (see above), but I suppose it is all relative.

    ReplyDelete