Thursday, March 27, 2014

[An Abecedary of Cape-Wearing] D is for Donatello--One Smart Turtle

I am taking part in the Slice of Life Story Challenge with Two Writing Teachers. For this challenge I will be attempting to write a "Slice of Life" post each day in the month of March and each Tuesday after that.

To support my Math-Love theme (click here and here), I have picked a fellow math-lover to continue my Abecedary of Cape-Wearing

I remember when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles made their appearance. My brothers were just the right age to think they were amazing. As a freshman in high school, I decided that they were silly (of course), but that their creator was either an idiot or a marketing genius. It turns out his idea was way more genius than silly. 

And the smartest turtle?  Donatello. Donatello is considered a technological genius and inventor. Some of his best work, in my opinion, is the Turtle Blimp. Donatello is the plan-maker, the risk-taker, and consequently the main mistake-maker.  He is constantly working on the next best solution to whatever predicament the other TMNTs dig up. Of course his solutions don't always work--not all solutions do!

And here we are... circling the valuable life-lesson I've assigned to this super turtle. Here it is.


Are you ready?


How about now?


Wait for it....


Wait



for


it....


Make mistakes! Lots of them!

That's it. Go out and try it on. Struggle through a possible solution. Throw it in the garbage when it doesn't work. Try something else. Iterate and reiterate.Model this process for your students and provide them a place to feel safe in doing so. Celebrate the Turtle Blimp--or something equally fabulous.

And, just saying... Donatello has an awesome shell--which is like a cape. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh...I totally agree and understand Donatello and also mistake making...it is what fuels us...eventually our failures can lead to successes.

    ReplyDelete